Monday, March 1, 2010

Sleep in (Adorable) Peace

I am not the mom who found I was pregnant and went out and bought anything and everything. I love organisation and detest clutter. As much as I love a good gadget, I was not about to fill my house with baby stuff I'd never use.

Add to that the fact that I'm (along with my husband) incredibly frugal. I had a candy stash that lasted me from holiday to holiday when I was little and saved almost every penny (literally! pennies still exist in the States) that I found.

So when it came to decorating my baby's room, I was not about to spend hundreds purchasing a matching set of cot sheets, wall hangings, nappy holders, and light switch covers.

I found a $6 set of cot sheets on a clearance sale at Spotlight, and as much as I love the clean look of all white, I just could not do that to my little baby.

In fact, I had one of those ridiculous preggo emotional outbursts about it to my husband one day. Sobbing in the car I irrationally asked him, "Am I already such a bad mother that my baby's room has no colour?! I have to do something!"

Fortunatley, my girlfriend mentioned that she had found an inexpensive - but awesome set of sheets at IKEA. Even though we don't have a shop in town and they don't ship, I hopped online and picked out my favourite set. The next time I knew a friend planning to go, I asked her if she would mind picking me up the set. She didn't and I have to say, I am stoked with how our little man's room turned out... for only $14 for the sheets!!

We chose this set for a few reasons:

  1. The fab deal
  2. Bright colours for stimulating our little one
  3. Its not gender specific so in case our ultrasound proved wrong, we wouldn't be caught out... AND when we have number 2, it won't matter either way!
  4. I loved the adorable little receiving blanket that came with it

We love it! Its super soft, washes well, and our little man looks very handsome sleeping on it.

May your penny-pinching be rewarded with fabulous results,


No comments:

Post a Comment