Thursday, May 6, 2010

Asking for Help

I'm definitely an independent person. I always have been. I spent a lot of time alone growing up. I was always keen to travel and take adventures. I'm not necessarily a risk taker... I just like to be able to handle things on my own.

That's my approach to motherhood a lot of times too. I know that I have the capacity to do what I need to do to take care of my little boy. I want to be assured of that.

At the same time, while I'm very confident in that, I've also decided that I really like to hear other peoples' experiences. I like to hear their ideas and what worked for them. I know that their choice may not work for me because their child, family and circumstances are different from mine, but I often find I get some great tips hearing from other mums.

Today I took a big step. I went and saw a lactation consultant. I went with this mentality: "I am fully capable of taking care of my son. He is healthy and he is thriving and that is good. BUT, there might be something more I can learn. There might be a way that I could do this better."

Thanks to the Australian government (Hey you Americans, the right national health care MIGHT not be as bad as you think... I'm just sayin'...), I was able to see a lactation consultant at an Infant and Parent Management Service totally free. The nurse I saw was very sweet. I took my son at a time when I was sure he'd be ready to eat and we just chatted.

Do you know what I learned today? My gut was right. He IS healthy and thriving.
  • I said: He generally only eats for around 10 minutes at a time.
  • She said: He is a very efficient eater. (She could hear him chugging away!)
  • I said: He still takes feeds during the night... sometimes 2-3 times!
  • She said: Is he always this active? (Yes.) Because he is always on the go, he needs more calories than babies who are content to just sit quietly.
Am I disappointed I went? No. I thought that these might be the answers I'd get. But I am really proud of myself for asking for help. For understanding that there MIGHT be a better way but there also MIGHT NOT for now. I am happy that I was open to the possibility and even happier that - as exhausted as I am - my boy and I are doing just fine!

From one vulnerable mum to another,

No comments:

Post a Comment