Thursday, May 13, 2010

Book Review: On Becoming Baby Wise

When my husband & I found out we were having a baby, how we would raise this child became a popular topic of conversation.

We knew a number of our friends who had read the book "On Becoming Baby Wise" by Gary Ezzo and Robert Buckham. We had a lot of respect for the way they parent and the way their children are behaved so we decided to have a go.One of the things that really stuck out to me about this book is that it strongly emphasizes the importance of the marriage part of a family. (Now, please understand I know there are circumstances where this is not possible, but I'm talking about a family where there are a married mom and dad. Sometimes we forget the importance of that relationship when we start adding kids into the mix!) This has always been significant to me, especially because I remember how important it was to my parents and how blessed I felt growing up in a house where my mommy and daddy loved and respected each other.

The other thing this book does is really empower the parents to be that - parents! This day in age, lots of kids tend to run their households. This book helps parents understand what it means to love and care for their children and help them develop into awesome adults.

I learned so much reading these principals and a lot of them we have incorporated into the way we care for our little boy.

One of the really controversial things about the book is that it advocates "Crying It Out." I don't really want to go there in this post because there are plenty of arguments both ways for this, but what I do want to point out is that it would be a shame to throw away all the very good tips this book has just because you don't believe in "Crying It Out."

I gained a lot of knowledge and insight into newborn sleeping patterns, how to feed, and the importance of learning MY baby and not just relying on a system or schedule.

I will say that one con for me was that while the book did encourage parents to learn their baby's cues, for me, it didn't help me know HOW to do that. While I really WANTED to get to know my baby and what he was trying to tell me, I didn't feel very equipped to do that.

In addition to a LOT of trial and error (which SEEMS against the book in theory, but really is all part of learning to be a new mommy or daddy, which the book advocates), I also found some other helpful resources in other books. Mostly, though, it has just taken time.

Of course, I'm constantly reminded that a mere three months into this parenting journey there are lots of other challenges ahead, I am really grateful for where we are at in our family. If you're looking for a good resource for your newborn or infant, I'd definitely encourage you to have a look. We are looking forward to reading more of the Babywise series to see what other tips may be offered for our little man!

Here's hoping for some more time to read,

No comments:

Post a Comment