Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day Memories

It was this time last year that our little boy made his debut into the womb.

To give a bit of history, we had spent a few months not trying to not have a baby, but as we looked at the potential timing of a little one's arrival, we decided we would need to stop "not trying" for a few months so we could time things better. My husband had been away during my prime time of the month so I figured we were in the clear and we would start being "safe" when he returned.

So, when I went overseas to work with a developing nation on a strategy to help improve their health care, I didn't take any extra health precautions. That week was a strange one. I was SO emotional. Usually I am very on it and enjoying what I do, but I found myself very sensitive and out of it. I even cried!! I was sharing a room with a friend during our stay and she secretly wondered whether I was pregnant because I was so strange.

When I returned home from my trip I was having coffee with a girlfriend. I was telling her how emotional I'd been and wondering what was wrong with me and asking for her to pray for me. Our coffee date went on and we were getting ready to leave and I had a thought - "Hey, I'm late. Do you mind if I run in and grab a pregnancy test?"

I know, I know. Stupid. But I didn't even put two and two together with the emotions.

I got home and needed to pee so even though my husband was having a meeting with some colleagues in our living room, I decided to take the test.

Of course, it was positive. What in the WORLD do you do stuck in your bathroom with guests in the living room when you find out you're pregnant!? I just stayed calm, hid everything and went and joined them. It seemed like they were lingering (they probably were, we hang out a lot and normally I LOVE having them around!) But when they weren't showing any signs of leaving, I said something really rude. I said to my husband, "I really need to speak with you privately before dinner."

They definitely got the hint and as soon as they were out the door, I showed him the test. Of course, I had purchased the cheapest one in the shop and we were both really confused at how I could be preggers so we did the only thing a naive first time pregnant couple would do - go buy a second test! It was positive too and so began our journey...

And now, a year later, I am being celebrated as a mommy by my precious boy and his daddy.

Enjoying this day oh so much,

No comments:

Post a Comment